Sunday 30 October 2011

3. 2 ou 3 choses que je sais D'Elle(1967)


The him in the title is Godard and his enduring narration. The Her refers not to the suburban housewife moonlighting as a prostitute, but Paris itself, hence the capitalisation.

Soliloquies aplenty; Close ups of coffee, burning cigarettes and a red mini in a car wash; Excessive breakage of the fourth wall; Constant references to Vietnam, hammering home Godard's anti Americanism, the most laughable example being the woman's child describing a dream he had where he met twins on a cliff precipice. When they became one he realised they represented North and South Vietnam. I mean really!

I'm sure it's all very clever, deep and abstract, but it smacks of pretension to me and I could have quite easily lived a happy life not seeing it.


Avant Garde. Sans intrigue. Sans point. Beaucoup ennui. Only 90 minutes, but '1900' went by quicker! I quite impressed myself that I watched it all.



No comments:

Post a Comment