Friday 25 May 2012

49. Un Chien Andalou/An Andalusian Dog (1928)

Really? Another surrealist film? Oy vay! Well, if I must, it's a silent short from Dali and Bunuel. Oh joy and I just loved L'Age D'Or *falls off sarcasm stool*.

It opens with a shockingly graphic scene of a man slicing a woman's eyeball with a cutthroat razor. It's the zenith of the scenes this film is infamous for. Other odd imaging includes a man staring at ants on his hand as they seemingly heal a wound; a woman being knocked over by a car (quite comically slowly); a man dressed as a nun riding a bike. It's full of them.

Okay I will put my hands up. I just don't get it. i completely understand the concept of surrealism and applaud it's place in art, but I just think there are some dreams you need to keep to yourself. I can accept that these are the origins of film, but I can quite easily live a full life without seeing this AND L'Age D'Or. Of the two, I'd have picked this one to see as it's best feature is it's length. Ironically, like a dream, it's 16 minute duration felt much much longer.

Merci rien!

Look familiar? Yes it's the Death Head Moth(Acherontia lachesis) as seen in The Silence of the Lambs. It also makes an appearance here. I wonder if it's on IMDB?!

1 comment:

  1. Since I was a kid, everyone mentioned the scene with the eye and the blade. I didn't know who Buñuel was, but got fixated with that comment about the eye being cut by the blade. Then I forgot about it until one day I borrowed from a friend who had it and my disappointment was huge!
    Couldn't make anything out of that scene!
    It lasts probably 3 nanoseconds!
    I love some of Buñuel's movies, but I guess I waited far too long for this one and it didn't quite satisfied my curiosity!

    ReplyDelete