Tuesday 10 April 2012

34. All The President's Men (1976)


Conspiracy thriller penned by William Goldman and directed by Alan J. Pakula about the outbreak of the Watergate scandal. Covering a break in at the Democratic headquarters, journalists Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein uncover an election scandal that leads all the way to the President.

It's a famous enough story. Pretty much the scoop of the century, but I am a bit clueless about US politics and required spoon feeding, something this film doesn't do (quite rightly). It focuses on the uncovering of the story by the 2 journalists as they canvas the employees of CREEP(the campaign to re-elect the president: no I don't get where the 2nd E fits in either!) and scavenge a paper trail for clues with the help of the mysterious Deep Throat.

This film has been parodied a dozen plus times and it's hard not to laugh at the hokum and the dated look. It is steeped in the 70s.

To be truthful, it kind of bored me. I didn't find it all that exciting, I didn't really sense any threat and I found the 2 protagonists rather annoying.
It's very well filmed and dressed. The claustrophobia of the newsroom is emphasised by low angles and close-ups. I found the end well shot too, as the camera focuses on President Nixon being sworn in for his second term and promising to uphold the constitution whilst, in the background Woodward and Bernstein are beavering away at a story utilising their right to freedom of speech.

 It's very clever, but I think modern directors have brought this genre to a new level of excellence to judge by. David Fincher's Zodiac, for example.

So, of it's day, it is a genre defining classic. Not sure how well it holds up today though.




NB. Due to finances and inability to find films online, the running order will now go a bit willy-nilly whilst I watch the films I can get hold of, or already own. #buyingtoomanydvds

No comments:

Post a Comment