Tuesday 13 December 2011

9. A Bout de Souffle/Breathless (1960)



Brilliant, trend-setting and beautiful, but also quite forgetable crap. I couldn't even remember if I had seen it before! I had.

So, I get the whole jump cut thing started here and I see how stylish it all is and that the camera romances Paris through it's lens (though Truffaut did it better). What I don't get is the trite story and the godawful acting. I don't believe in either of the main characters, let alone like them. Are we supposed to find Jean-Paul Belmondo as Poiccard, attractive, charming and exciting, because he isn't. Did Godard make him chain smoke to look interesting? Jean Seberg's Patricia is equally a paradox. Clearly beautiful, but this intelligent, independent journalist falling for a small-time thief, turned killer? No, I don't think so. Both actors give very wooden performances of these unbelievable characters.

Two for two with disappointing films by Godard. The new wave has better to offer than this. I actually preferred the US remake!

The music is good. I will give it that.



A much more believeable, better and sexier film.





No comments:

Post a Comment